Sunday, September 7, 2008

Riding and Reading

On our trip west thru MN, SD, WY, and CO, I did a lot of reading on the road, so I have a few recommendations for you today. One of them is Jerry B. Jenkins new novel, RIVEN. He says, "This is the novel I've always wanted to write and it is unlike anything I've ever written. My hope is that is stays with you long after the final page....If a novelist has a life's work, this is mine." A condemned man with nothing to lose encounters a weary chaplain with nothing to gain. Death and despair are overcome with rebirth and forgiveness...take a look.

Maybe you have read Gary Chapman's book THE FOUR SEASONS OF MARRIAGE. It is a very heplful book in understanding how marriage moves from season to season with the cycle repeating itself many times through the life of a marriage. Gary has joined with Catherine Palmer to write 4 novels set near Camdenton, MO ~ small town America. The couples in this community go through these various seasons, bringing to life the principles of the marriage book. They could be very helpful if you are working with young couples struggling to understand how marriage works.

I rediscovered one of my favorite insightful and creative authors, Ann Tatlock. I'LL WATCH THE MOON and THINGS WE ONCE HELD DEAR are the two I read this go around.

A while back I mentioned a trio of challenging books by Jean Sasson about a princess in Saudi Arabia. This time I read about two more women ~ Mayada in Iraq and Joanna in Kurdistan and their life of hardship and survival under Suddam Hussein. MAYADA, DAUGHTER OF IRAQ and LOVE IN A TORN LAND are both worth your time. Mayada grew up with wealth and royalty but ended up in prison, a target of Saddam's secret police. Joanna helps one understand the chemical attacks, bombings, and hardships in the fight for Kurdish independence.

Andy and I read to one another along the road for the first time. We have heard so much about THE SHACK by William P. Young from guests at Cedarly. So, we bought the book for the library and took it along. There has been a lot of controversey about the book, but we found it intreging and challenging. The book wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" There are a few chapters I would to go back to and wrestle thru again.

We also both read John Eldredge's new book, WALKING WITH GOD. More great insights on my struggle for intimacy with God each day. I have a bit more work to do as I interact with John's story and insights in learning to hear God day by day, finding joy and transformation along the journey.

No comments: