Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tour de Cure

Recently I was at our City Hall getting information about the upcoming election. In a display out in the hall I was drawn to a brochure about an upcoming bike ride in Wisconsin. I took a copy ~ and a dream was born. This particular ride was 150 miles over two days and I quickly realized that was far to grand for me. So, I went on line and discovered a more reasonable challenge in the TOUR de CURE for the American Diabetes Association. The tour is on June 19th in Ozaukee County, just north of Milwaukee. I will ride 100 K. My goal is to do it in less than 6 hours. There, I said it publicly...I'm committed.

There are a couple of reasons I was drawn to this particular ride. Our daughter, Aimee, had gestational diabetes while pregnant with Ryan last year. This puts her in greater risk for someday getting diabetes. She will continue exercising and watching her diet in hopes that it will not develop. Also, our grandson, Anders, is in a research study for diabetes in Colorado. He will participate until he is 16 years old.

Last April I took my exercise program up a couple of notches in an effort to lose weight and get in better physical shape. My girls have been telling me for some time that walking is not enough (I have walked an hour/4 miles a day since Aimee was born in 1979). I have been doing a 5 mile walk/jog program that also includes knee lifts, side steps, and kicks, as well as arm movements. I have also been lifting hand weights and doing leg lifts with ankle weights. So, I am in much better shape now and could start out right away biking 10-12 miles a day.

We have had some very nice spring weather so I have been training for about 3 1/2 weeks doing about 15 1/2 miles a day (1/4 of the distance of the ride). Yesterday, I rode 21 miles for the first time (1/3 of the distance of the ride). It went well (I did it in 1 hour and 43 minutes) and I have yet to have any leg cramps or pain. I am feeling pretty good about it...I think I can, I think I can.

If you would like to join me in the ride or support my effort, e-mail me and I will send you the information! Notes of encouragement would also be appreciated! I'll let you know how I do along the way.

No comments: