Monday, June 9, 2014

Hot, Hot, Hot

It's been hovering around 105 to110 the past few days here.  Somehow I imagined a cool breeze off the Persian Gulf everyday making it bearable.  Alas, not happening.  There's high humidity and high temperatures  - and I have my lightweight wrap on to cover my elbows and rear.  I have been wearing long sun dresses or capris almost every day.  The air conditioning in the house stays on constantly.  I get a little mustache of sweat on my upper lip when I'm in the kitchen baking or cooking up a storm.
Today I made my apricot salsa chicken and it was well received!  The chocolate/white swirl cake and ice cream for dessert was a hit as well.

I thot I would venture out further than the City Center which is only 2 turns and a mile away...so I set out to find the huge Dragon Mart - sort of like a huge indoor international flea market.  I had what I thot were good directions - and I have been there once before.

Alas, not happening.  I got to the critical juncture three times and still didn't find the right road.  The first time I missed the exit all altogether...it came up too quickly and I was in the wrong lane.  I just had to go about 5 miles down the 6 lane divided highway and make a turnaround.

The next time, I got onto the 311 but went the wrong direction to the right and had to go in a big circle on roads I had never seen before - but I did make it back.  (One nice thing is I am very familiar with the airport and lots of signs show you how to get to the airport - just follow the picture of the plane.)

The third attempt, I got onto the 311 and went the right direction to the left but never saw the signs to Hatta or Oman.  Eventually I was at a major roundabout with 4 lanes AND stop lights....never saw that before.  I had to go in another big square this time and decided to give up.  

You learn a lot about a new area when you get lost or take wrong turns.  I drove past IKEA and ACE Hardware to the south, the airport to the west, and an incredible Equestrian Center somewhere out In the middle of nowhere.  Fortunately there wasn't a lot of traffic today so I felt safe and didn't have anybody give me any obscene gestures.  I did have a few people honk at me but that is not unusual...there are lots of impatient drivers here.  They don't seem to pay much attention to coming to a full stop at STOP signs.  They honk at you to get you moving if you do stop.

Instead of going to the Dragon Mart to buy tablecloths, I went to a smaller neighborhood mall where all the locals (ie Emirates) shop day to day...not a big showy, expensive mall with a major attraction.  I only saw two or three other westerners, but the shop keepers were kind and welcoming...and took  my money anyway. 

There were lots of places for women to buy traditional Islamic garments and several shops where you could have dresses and tops custom made.  There were multiple perfume shops and jewelry shops, but there was also a locally owned Walgreens type store - minus the pharmacy.  Just normal stuff you would buy day to day.  Kind of fun to look around.  Toys, school/office supplies, books, craft stuff, hair care...a little of everything. 

Didn't find any tablecloths but enjoyed seeing people out and about.  There were coffee shops and ice cream shops...so lots of people (mainly men actually) sitting around chatting and eating and drinking coffee.  Have I mentioned that generally speaking there are bars only in large hotels or resorts.  The locals don't drink.  But they do seem to have a lot of free time for socializing.  Also a LOT a men here do the family shopping.  I cannot tell you how many men (of all ages) I have seen in the diaper section of the grocery store stocking up on diapers.

Right next to the mall there was a very pretty Mosque.  We have driven by it but I really wanted a picture, so this unexpected stop made that possible.  Across the street from the mall was a little corner strip mall with various small EST stores like I talked about the other day.




That's it for today.  Aimee sent pictures today to show that they arrived safely on Oahu Island with the Marx family.  Sarah's family is getting ready for their Jacobson adventure in Italy.  Soon our little family will be spread out across the world on three continents.  It takes me back to a time when we were living in Germay.  Aimee was a senior and Sarah was a freshman and we let the girls stay home alone for a long weekend....for the first time.  As I recall, Andy was in Turkey visiting troops there and I was in England on a PWOC visit.  Sarah broke her leg in a soccer game and Aimee had to get her from Wiesbaden to the hospital in Frankfort.  Praying that we will all be safe over the next few weeks!


No comments: