Saturday, June 21, 2014

Sabbath Rest

"The Gospel and Boasting" was the title of Dave's talk this week.  He was insightful and challenging.  Deep down we want credit. From people - give me the honor, appreciate me, you owe me.  With God - I've been faithful, I'm serving you, I'm in church regularly.  Give me a good life, give me credit!  

Galatians 6:11-18. Far be it from me to boast except in the cross of Christ.  Boast in Christ alone!

Glen Jones lead worship and we sang his song,  "We Cannot Boast".  

We cannot boast save in the death
And resurrection of our Lord
Whose precious blood was split for us,
The great redeeming sacrifice.

For us the Lamb was slain
To redeem us back to Him
This is the sinner's claim
In Jesus Christ I live and reign.

A great reminder to me...in Christ alone!

Made me think and reflect on a passage I memorized years ago at a critical time in my life....Psalm 62:1-8.  It has been a favorite passage for many years and in many situations.

      My soul finds rest in God alone
         My salvation comes from Him
            He alone is my Rock and my Salvation
               He is my Fortress
                  I will never be shaken

      Find rest, O my soul, in God alone.
           My hope comes from Him
               He alone is my Rock and my Salvation
                   He is my fortress
                       I will not be shaken.
 
     My salvation and my honor comes from God.
         Trust in Him, O people
              He is my mighty Rock, my Refuge
                  Pour out your hearts to Him
                      for God is our refuge.
 
love the worship at this church...the power of worshipping with people from around the world who love and serve Him.  It's amazing, humbling, and exciting.   The stories of like minded people we meet here are encouraging.  God is at work!

We spent the remainder of the day resting, reading, and enjoying a great chicken dinner.  A good day of Sabbath rest.

Now today (Saturday) it seems like Monday....washing, ironing, running to the corner grocery store, making 'to do' lists for the week.  Prepared sloppy joes, cheesy potatoes, homemade chips...enjoyed great conversation over dinner.



I am wanting to remember what some of the houses in this area look like, so I drove around a bit.  
Just pitiful that I didn't WALK around like I normally would, but it was 108 here today and I just couldn't do it!

                              


                             

I love the stonework on this house.  If I could afford to build a home in this area I would use this!


                                 

                                 


                                     Inside...
    The gate was open on this compound.  This house sits on a corner and is quite pretty.
                                     Outside...


               The canvas covers protect the cars from the sun beating down on them.



Many homeowners are sprucing up their grounds and getting ready for Ramadan.  Tents are going up on compounds.  Parties are being planned.  Stores of all kinds are having huge sales...from appliances to electronics, from dates to chickens.  It. Is. Amazing.

I found out a few things about car registration the other day.  A friend had to re-register a car (taking it from the UAE to Oman).  We had been to Oman last week and I had given him 11 Rial I had left over from our trip.  Due to an unexpected delay, he crossed the border late at night in a remote area.  You are required to pay for a year of insurance when you bring a new car into the country.  He was 11 Rial short and remembered the money he had in his pocket from me...No way he could have gotten into the country that night without it.  Great story....great provision.

You also find out once a year when you register your car what fines you collected during that year - for speeding, for illegal parking or for any other infractions.  You have NO idea what you might  be fined.  If there are outstanding fines on a used car you purchase, you are responsible for those as well.  Some fines (like speeding) are somewhat negotiable, but others (like parking in a fire hydrant zone) are not.  Two different friends told us of having 1000 and 1500 Durham fines the first year they drove in Dubai.
What a shock!

Well, like they say in the cartoons of old, "That's all folks!"  

No comments: