Sunday, October 5, 2014

Horseback riding into the Canyon

I The Try This afternoon we took a 2 hour trail ride from the top of the rim into the canyon.  The views were spectacular once again.  I rode on a black horse named Comanche.  He was pretty responsive but didn't seem to like the horse in front of him, so I held back a bit and didn't let him nip at the behind of the horse in front - who would kick at him in response!  Made things interesting...



Andy started out behind me but his horse didn't seem to like be at the tail end.  Andy had to work at keeping him in line.  About halfway through the 2 hour ride, his horse won...and they were in front the rest of the ride.




Once again I had to fight my fear...the horses seemed to like walking th the outside edge as we went down.  Much of the time there were huge drop offs straight down .  The guide had told us NOT to try and make them move over.  The edge is where they felt most comfortable!  Great!  



Bristlecone pines...hundreds of years old.  I'm told some of them are thousands of years old.








Quiet and peaceful...at least that's the way I see it now...after we are safely back!



All in all a great ride on a beautiful day in warm sunshine and incredible beauty!


I keep finding that being short has its disadvantages - like getting on and off a horse...
I also found my knees were all twisted and turned after 2 hours in the saddle.  Had to sit down and work it out.  Why is Andy always laughing at me???











No comments: