Sunday, August 4, 2013

Walking Through Life

Aimee was born January 28, 1975 at Fort Hood, Texas. Six weeks later Andy left for 189 days in Germany on Brigade 75 with the US Army. It was hard to be alone with an infant first child. However, there were some advantages. 

 Like being able to put her in a stroller and take her for a long walk when she got fussy...which was almost every night around suppertime. I didn't have to fix dinner at any special time, so off we would go. She loved it, plus walking gave me some exercise and an excuse to get outside. 

 I have been walking an hour a day every day since then...over 37 years. Okay, not every day, but most days. Year round. In recent years, my standard has been: not walking in below zero temperatures. Other than that, I walk. In rain, sleet, or snow. 

 I have been in hiking clubs through the years, in Germany and in Colorado. We went all over the countryside, finding new trails and challenges. When we moved back to Colorado in 1999, I was in my fifties...we started hiking Fourteeners in the Rockies. I have climbed 12 of the 14,000 foot mountains in Colorado.

 I also got a new bike and started riding regularly. A few years ago I rode nearly 1200 miles preparing for a 100K ride to raise money for the American Diabetes Association. On a trip to Hawaii, we kayaked the NaPali Coast of Kauai.

 So, I have been active and exercising most of my adult life.

 Now, in less than a month, we are leaving for 7+ weeks in Spain to walk The Way of St. James ~ El Camino de Santiago. The distance from St Jean Pied de Port, France, to Santiago de Compostela, Spain, is about 800KM or 500 miles. The trail we are following is called The French Way. 

 It will be the biggest physical challenge I have face.
 Why am I doing it at age 65??? 
 I am not really sure... 

 We heard about the Camino 18-24 months ago. We thought it was pretty cool but it wasn't until months later that we decided to actually do it. Andy said one day, "I've been thinking about the Camino." I responded, "So have I." In January we got serious and started planning and purchasing equipment.
 Now, here it is. We look at this as a transitional Sabbatical of sorts...leaving full time ministry after over 40 yeas, and entering the world of volunteer ministry. 

 Join us! 
 Keep up with our adventure on my blog and through Facebook.
 Andy plans to start a blog, too. I'll keep you posted on that.
 I plan to post as often as I find WiFi.
 Spain is a first world country after all.

No comments: