Thursday, September 24, 2015

Regular Early Morning Walk

This morning I was not responsible for making breakfast, so I went for a walk - about 1 1/2 hours.  It was only 82 degrees when I left ar about 6:45 and I could hear the call to prayers from the mosques in the neighborhood.  Generally you will find a mosque every 8-10 blocks, so men are close enough to make it for prayer time through the day.  In the house I rarely hear the call,  but walking onside it was clear as a bell and coming from all four directions.  Impressive...no one could miss it.


This is the one near us...generally they are not huge but nicely maintained.  



Not too many blooming plants at this time of the year...but there are a few of these bougainvillea around - many along the walls of the various villa compounds.  Very pretty against the off white walls. I heard LOTS of roosters crowing as I walked. There were many other birds singing and flitting about. In the heat of the day you do not hear or see many birds, so it was a treat!


Early morning a lot of the long flights from Australia and parts beyond arrive.  The landing pattern for one of the terminals goes overhead near us.  I'm guessing one flew by almost every three minutes while I was walking.  Several were these huge Airbus A380 double decker, wide body, four engine jet airliners.  Emirates has dozens of them.  They are the largest airline in the world right now, and Dubai is the busiest international airport in the world.


I walked up to Uptown mall and tried to find the Mirdif Park but was not successful.  Need to ask the locals for better directions.  But I enjoyed seeing all the pretty homes in the neighborhood.


The city map of Dubai has all the streets on it, but they do not  name them all.  Neighborhoods are named and they have these little maps by the side of the road with more details.


This is what an empty lot in a neighborhood looks like.  At least not many weeds grow in them! 


It was getting pretty hot in the sun by the time I finished, but I really did enjoy getting outside for a bit!

No comments: