Sunday, November 22, 2015

Scary Accident

Normally coming west from Europe or the Middle East is an easier adjustment for me than going east to those areas.  I seem to be able to sleep better at the right times much quicker and feel rested much sooner.

John and Renee live in Rockford...

So, when I found out Jim and Denise were going to be in Rockford for dinner with Connie, John, and Renee, I wanted to be there, too.  Andy had another commitment, so I drove down on Monday  afternoon. 

Jim and Denise live in Hernando, Florida..

Connie also lives in Rockford...  Jan was not there - she lives in Payson, Arizona.

Jacquelyn (John's daughter), husband Jeff, and daughter Jorja were there as well.

We had a nice dinner at Capri on State Street. Tasty pizza, just like back in the 60's!!  It was fun to catch up, share stories, and reconnect.  It doesn't happen often enough.

We were back at Connie's by 7:30 and it wasn't raining...I could be home by 9:00. I felt good and wide awake - I had a Coke on purpose at dinner.

All went well and I was staying awake no problem.  I was on divided highway 26 just south of 94 by Johnson Creek.  

I came over an overpass and was on a straight section with a wide open median between the north and south lanes.  Traffic was light.  God was watching over me.

You know how you sometimes doze off for 2 seconds and your head jerks you awake.  That happened and suddenly I woke up going 65  in the median filled with high weeds, rocks, and very uneven ground.

I had crossed from the right lane over the left lane into the median.  All I said (as far as I can remember) was, Oh, Lord!

I have no idea how I got the car under control or stopped.  I know I swerved a couple of times.  Suddenly I found myself by the side of the road in the left lane.  I sat there for a minute shaking, yet knowing that Angels had to have been there. With all the bouncing around in the car, the flashing warning lights came on automatically.

No one was around.  I decided I should get in the far right lane farther off the road.  As I crossed over I realized at least one tire was flat.  I got out and checked them all.  One was flat.  I didn't see any other damage to the car.

I called Andy and then contacted the roadside service USAA provides.  It would take an hour for them to get to me.  Cars went flying by me regularly.  No one stopped.  In a way I was a way I thot it was sad.  No one cared enough to stop.

In the end Andy borrowed our neighbor's car and got to me first.  He started changing the tire, and before long the truck arrived.  They checked the car over and finished with the tire.  In the end the tire was not flat....somehow it came off the rim.  The next morning Andy was able to put it back on.

I had to drive the car home slowly with the small spare tire.  Andy followed me.  It seemed to take forever.

I was so relieved and so convinced that God had taken care of me - I was able to sleep pretty well.  I have relived the event several times, but it still is not clear to me how I got the car under control and and stopped.  

I could have been on the overpass...there could have been barriers on the side of the road...someone could have passed me as I went into the left lane...there could have been fences or poles in the median...  So much could have happened.  It could have ended very badly for me.

What does God have in mind for me?  Why did He choose to spare me?  What do I need to learn from this terrifying incident?  

May I have ears to hear, eyes to see, and a heart willing to understand His purposes.

No comments: