Monday, November 9, 2015

How did it get to be November 10th?!?

The I haven't posted in a week - where did the time go?  


At the terminal for Fly Dubai and saw this sign - not to Wall Drug but to Lynchburg USA!  We left Thursday morning...it's a 90 minute flight north across the Persian Gulf with an hour time difference.


Fly Dubai is a low cost airline but they have good service... HELP, I have a headache, I cannot sleep, I have an aching body!  For 20 dirham they have what you need!


A sweet young Arab boy traveling with his family...enjoyed the scenery along the way.


Flying into Kuwait!


Most of the action is along the coast.



We drove by a mosque painted an unusual color...  There are lots of trees planted along the roads in Kuwait.  


At the check in counter in the hotel.  We were at the Ibis Hotel in Salmiya.  We took buses each day to go see friends.


Got checked into the hotel and made our way to a nearby mall for a nice lunch.  We don't think many tourists come here.  The owner/manager of the restaurant treated us like royalty - was very kind and attentive.


Andy had Moroccan tea served by an adept waiter.


I had a terrific chicken shawarma -- a Middle Eastern dish...garlicy chicken served on pita bread with two crunchy fries on the side.


Faith, you would have liked this Coke glass.  The rounded part looked just like a soccer ball!  Don't know if you can make out the stitch lines in this picture.


The leaders of Kuwait...


There were some bridal shops in the mall.  Here is what's in for the new year...



A very trendy sweet shop!


After lunch a friend and I took a walk down by the Persian Gulf.


Off in the distance to the north was Kuwait City and their famous towers.  
I was told you can walk or bike for miles and miles along the water.  Next time....


Side note:  I ran out of the jel I use to give my hair some body.  I bought a bottle in Dubai but it made my hair sticky and shiny and took two washings to get it out.  So I quit using it.  My hair is fine and straight...and fly away until we get home!


The park was beautiful by day and by night.


We didn't have much free time as we were with like minded friends most of the time.  Kuwait is not known as a tourist spot - I didn't find any post cards or local handcrafts anywhere...there was very little even at the duty free shop at the airport.


This guy saw me taking pictures and immediately started showing off!


This (from what I could tell) is an office building next to a department store.  Very unusual...


And very pretty at night, too.  On Friday night after dinner we had some free time so I took Andy on a walk down by the water.


They love the colored lights.  The park near here was filled with people picnicking, riding bikes, playing volleyball, swimming, rollerblading...just one big party!







A view looking north from our hotel room.

It was a great time...learning about what is happening in the AP,  meeting dedicated workers, sharing stories, eating wonderful meals together...morning til night for two full days.

Andy's seminar was well received - he got great feedback.  We discovered we were the oldest ones there!  We got home at 1:00 am Saturday morning...encouraged and grateful for the opportunity and a successful visa run, too.

No comments: